Lug Nut Limbo

Quoting W.B. Peale's lug nut concern in V8 #6 in it's entireity: In
which I ask a very profound question on the stimulating subject of lug
nuts.

Our hero has just removed the original 69 open-diff rear axle from his
GT
Veloce and has a 74 LSD unit ready to install.  The old axle has the
original
wheel studs, with reversed threads on the driver's(?) side.  The lug
nuts were
also original 'open' style, 4 reversed thread and 4 normal.  The
original
steel rims and hub caps will remain on the car (until someone dumps a
full set
of GTA magnesium wheels in the driveway).

I have the lug nut situation covered on one side of the car, but not on
the
formerly 'reversed' side.  I have been told that I will need to find a
set of
4 right-threaded 'open' lug nuts, as the later 'closed' style won't be
compatible with my stud/wheel/hubcap configuration.  The Question: Is
this
true, or can I use later 'acorn' style lug nuts?

(I realize that I can go and get some acorn nuts and test the whole
thing, but
if things are off by only half a thread depth or so, I might not catch
the
problem and shed a wheel at an inopportune moment.)

********

W.B. I'm with you as to the degree of excitement over the mere mention
of lug nuts, not to mention wheel studs.

That said, should you even remotely feel you might one day want to
install cast (as opposed to steel) rims on you car, bite the bullet and
at least replace all of the studs in the rear (that is, both sides) with
longer ones. Lug nuts will then be available.

It is possible you might have to use wheel spacers should the nuts
bottom out and the steel rims still aren't tight.

I had a '69 Spider in the shop for 'a completion' restoration and among
other things, installing 5-stars with new Yoko's was one of the
projects.

The standard stud length for the '69 Spider is about 1 3/8" (installed).
There is simply not enough 'meat' on these studs to install cast rims
and be able to get enough threads on the lug nut.

I called Jon Norman / Alfa Parts (800-890-2532) and he talked me through
as to what was required. Apparently there are separate stock Alfa studs
for both front and rear. He sold / shipped me 16 front type (longer)
studs and 16 (long) closed end lug nuts. For this situation, it was the
best combination.

I ended up whapping out the studs all around. The fronts were a piece of
cake by comparison to the rears, but it can be done. I'd highly
recommend you find someone to press old one's out and new ones in.

In any event you won't enjoy the process, but should you do all four
corners, you will now have all counterclockwise undo nuts and be able to
bolt on any 108 mm (within reason) rims you want in the future.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Once again must mention that advice from the Digest when I was going
through the dilemma made the decision and process considerably easier.