Checking Pinion Length on Alfetta, GTV6 and Milano

Hello All:

Here is a pretty technical question for the experienced transaxle people out there.

In my quest to construct a high performance 3.0 Alfetta GT I decided to use a platinum transaxle with extra friction plates in the LSD and lightened gears.

I shipped the guts out a reputable tech/machinest. Because he had to dissasemble the gear shaft to machine the gears we decided together that he would install new syncro rings and make sure all was correct in the box.  I have never rebuilt and gear box and want it "right".  As the transaxle came out of a local junk yard, I also have no idea how good or bad the box is.  Last week, I got the box back.  The machine work was very nice.  However, I noticed that 5th gear was a bit loose on the shaft (way too much side to side clearance).  That is simple enough to sort out with Mike Besic's help.  However, now that I found that error I am very concerned that the total pinion length might be incorrect.  As you all know, this is crucial for the life of the ring and pinion and for a quiet rear end.  I have asked the tech if he is certain that he reassembled the box "exactly" the same way as he disasembled it.  He says yes.  However, before I completely reassemble it I want to check it. !
 No, I did not measure the pinio
n length before I shipped.  Yes, that was stupid!

Ok, here is my question.  How to I check for proper pinion length without the factory tools?  Have any of you done it?  The techs at work (I work for a Ferrari dealership), say I can use "blueing" to set it up but don't have specific experience with this transaxle.  So, I need to hear from someone who has "been there done that".  I want to do it right the first time.  Not after I have finished the car.

Please help!

Thanks!

David Alexander
Riverside, IL