Laminated Windshields

Sfarasino, Us and Canada require laminated windshield meeting the ASI
standard to be used in all passenger cars. This is a US standard. Tempered
windshields are no longer permitted.

The laminated windshields now are so tough they actually restrain the
occupant even if unbelted. The three layer windshield has toughened glass
on the outside so as to deflect rocks etc as much as possible, a plastic
film sandwiched in the middle, and a thicker glass inside that will break
into rounded chunks if struck from the inside, as by a head for example. As
an aside I have noticed that laminated windshield appear to get more
brittle as they age (heat cycling from the sun? cumulative effect of
multiple minor stone impacts?) and after about four years in our tough
Canadian conditions suddenly become less resistant to stone breakage.

Tempered windshields have a nasty habit of shattering for no apparent
reason. Nobody should be using this primitive technology any longer.
However, the deduction that LHD and RHD windshields would be different due
to the small clear pane of untempered glass situated right in front of the
driver is correct. Talk about a Rube Goldberg solution to a problem better
solved by scrapping the entire design!
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada