24V (5-speed) tranny dipstick

I've had that fun about 5 times in the past 6 weeks:

- Jack-up the car
- Remove LF wheel
- Place carpenter's level on the hood
- Lower car onto blocks until leveled
- Peer into the black void with a flashlight and check the tranny fluid level
- Add fluid thru the dipstick hole using a "Sta-Lube" brand gear oil hand pump (Pep Boys)
- Jack-up, remove blocks, replace wheel, lower the car, yadda, yadda...
- Drive around the block and again smell burning gear oil on my exhaust

Fortunately the inner wheel well cover doesn't need to be removed, as in an oil change.

Why 5 times? My junkyard tranny was leaking, though it was a quick-fix at the dealer this week, and all seems well now. Some sort of loose screws on a plate or cover(?)

My point (besides sympathy and understanding)? I found that the dipstick often feels like it is all the way in, when it isn't. Do a visual check of the stick. It caused me to overfill the first time. The Owner's Manual says 1.8 liters, so it looks like Paul got it right.

Karl

I know the transmission dipstick exists because I've seen one in pictures.

 A few days ago I changed the tranny fluid on my 95 LS. Before draining the
 fluid, which is the easy part, I wanted to make sure I'd be able to fill the
 transmission back up. After searching for many minutes I finally found the
 elusive dipstick hidden behind a hose. It actually juts out of the
 differential and is very close to the firewall.

 As a dipstick it's useless for the garage mechanic as the car must be jacked
 up to access. Since the car isn't level you'll never get an accurate reading.