105/115 gearbox and trans plugs

There are a couple sizes and types of wrenches needed for  105/115 gearbox
and diff filler plugs.  In general, earlier (105) that I have seen have had
14mm Allen plugs for both holes on the gearbox and the filler on the diff.
Also in general, later (115) cars I've seen have 12mm Allen plugs on the
diff, and either one of those sizes Allen plugs on the gearbox or regular
hex-head plugs with no "shoulder" or head on the gearbox, in 17 or 19mm (I
forget). The changeover seemed to be around 1974, but this is probably one
of those things that phased in in a big way, so I'm sure there are
variations. Plus donor engines, transes, and diffs have now been shuttled
among different chassis for 25 years, so you might see any possible
combination.

Diff drain plugs on all my cars are regular hex, the size of which which I
can't recall, maybe 17 or 19mm

For a 12mm Allen plug that has its hex area rounded out and become
unremovable, which is not uncommon, I found that a 1/2 inch Allen wrench
works great with a little tapping into place.  Beware pounding on these
plugs too hard, or really torquing them down, because they're very soft.
I've got several trans and diff plugs with the threaded part starting to
"rip" a way from the head part right near the radius, probably due to too
much torque.  You don't want to rip the head off the thing.  And trying to
pound these things off with a chisel, screwdriver, or punch often just tears
them up and screws up the sealing surface, because they're so soft.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register