dead verde

Hello everyone- I could use some advice on my 87 verde that left me stranded
on the highway the other night.

I was driving about 85 mph on the freeway when the car started to
stumble/lose power for about a few seconds at a time.  It was as if the car
would hiccup and then go away.  About 10 miles later the car did the same
routine, but then cut out and ceased to run.  I waited for a ride for about
two hours.  The car then restarted and ran about 2-3 more miles before it
stopped the same way as the first time.  My father was following me when it
cut out the second time.  He mentioned that he noticed some black carbon/like
stuff was coming out of the tail pipe.  The car finally would not restart at
all and I had it towed to a shop.  It would almost catch if I pressed the gas
as in a carbed car.

I had the oil changed the day before the trip.  I also have done a complete
tune-up, new filters, and zat air flow meter in the last two thousand miles.
I had been driving anywhere from 70 up to 120 mph at one point on this trip.
The car was running good up till then.  I always have had a slight hesitation
between 3500-4000 rpms or so....hard to tell with my pessimistic tach.

Any thoughts or ideas- thanks in advance Cory