Re: Milano Production numbers

A few comments/clarifications concerning 1988 Milano Platinums.  The 1988
Milano sales brochure lists four models: " Gold Auto.", "Gold 5-Speed",
"Platinum Auto." and "3.0 Litre 5-Speed".  This was the first year the
Milano was available with an automatic transmission; the Platinums all had
them, while it was an option for the Gold.  Otherwise, the sole option for
all four models, according to the sales brochure, was a "dual-action power
sunroof".  There was no mention of cruise control in the sales brochure.

On March 9, 1988, I purchased vin number ZARDB14290J1225046, a white Milano
Platinum that listed both sunroof and cruise control as options on the
window sticker.  Someone at the time informed me that all Platinums came
with sunroof and cruise control, but they were listed on the window sticker
as "options" so as to lower the base price below that of the 3.0 Litre
5-Speed (Verde) and thus make the Verde the top-of-the-line model.  My car
cost $20,800 (plus sales tax, plus licence fee, plus NY State inspection,
plus $10.00 for gasoline).

For a 1988 model, these cars arrived in the US rather late.  We wanted the
automatic since my wife would be driving the car.  Periodically, since the
Fall of 1987, I would call ARI in Englewood (later to become ARDONA in
Orlando), ask when the '88 Milanos would be available, and I would be told
"the Platinums are not yet available but will be shortly".  In early March,
1988, Island Volkswagen in Oceanside, NY, advertized '88 Milano Platinums
in the NY Times.  I went to the dealer, bought one and picked it up two
days later.  I then called ARI with my periodic question and was told "the
Platinums are not yet available but will be shortly".

I kept the car for over 13 years (replaced it in May), and it was one of
the best cars I have ever owned.  I can't say the same for its replacement,
a 2001 Mercedes C-240 with intermittent electronic gremlins.

Bob Cess
Stony Brook, NY