Reincarnation of a thread

I was interested to see, in AD7-1497 (March 31, 2000) Chris Prael's rebuttal
of Les Singh's reply to Joe Garcia's post. Looked, as is my wont, for the
antecedents and didn't find them right off- until I noticed that Chris
Prael's post had been sent on Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:56:50 -0800 (PST). Another
of those internet limbo prodigals that wander in the galactic dark to
reappear at the oddest time. Marvelous.

So I looked in the archives to see what Joe Garcia had said, what Les said,
(on the seventeenth page of a splendid fifty-nine page thread), and about a
hundred others- Simon Favre, of course, Bob Brady, Mark Battley, Scott
Fisher, all the regulars - over a period of about sixteen days.

FWIW, my off-digest reply (to Prael, with a cc to Les Singh) at the time had
been:

>> replicas of the Borianni steel wheels that came with all Giuliettas<<

Ain't no company of that name. Nevva wuz, nevva willbe.

>> I'm pretty sure I remember Panasports on the GTAms that were run
(quite successfully) in the Trans Am series by Horst Kwech.  So Panasports
are at least as 'original' as Campagnolos are on 1750s and 2000s <<

Maybe, if Alfas were just an Italian derrivative of the Chicago AUSCA firm,
but I don't believe the Italian branch ever homologated Panasports.

My "bitsa" would be a lot closer to Les' than to yours. A ROAD car, not a
short-lived track car. An Autodelta GTA is a purpose-built collection of
fatigue-cracks waiting to happen; if I wanted a GTA what I would REALLY want
would be something like a birdcage Maserati. Goes more like hell, falls apart
even faster.
Snippy? Well, that is why it was off digest. The whole thread was "GTV faq"
from Nov.1 until Nov.4, when Bob Brady rechristened it "The Best GTV", a name
which stuck to the end, except for some extended Spica discussions which
included a marvelous historic contribution by Paul Tenney.

It was nice - -

John H.