Re: Observations on my 164L

Kim,

Congrats on your purchase of the 164L.  Given routine maintenance, you'll get lots and lots of (s)miles out of it.  My '94 has proven to be both a dependable routine everyday car and also the long distance cruiser to ski resorts (lots and lots of room!)

Here's my take at your observations.

Valve train:  if they're clacking, they're probably too loose.  Is this really an issue?  Unless it's VERY loud, and that is very subjective from ear to ear, it is probably OK.  The same engine drives my Milano/75 and when it goes out of adjustment, it gets quieter (as they get tighter) not the other way around.  I just had them readjusted prior to my track time three weekends ago and it is slightly clackier but I am 100% sure the settings are per Alfa spec.  If you are not sure, take it to a reputable Alfa mechanic to check the valve clearence; shouldn't take them more than an hour to check it all.  It's also better - in the collective wisdom of my Alfa posse out here including my mechanic, to
have them slightly looser rather than tighter.

Temperature:  yup, it'll run "hot" but even on hot days, with the AC running, the fan should kick in long before it overheats.  200 is where mine runs in traffic.  I've gotten used to seeing the needle towards the end of its sweep.  One interesting note:  Jess' 1995 164LS has 190 in the center of the gauge so when it's running (normally) at 200, it is not at such an alarming angle.

Warning light:  my friend's 164L Auto used to light up its temp warning light when cold.  Went away after it warms up and never  comes back on (until it overheated one day when the water pump belt broke and she had to limp it off the rush hour freeway - no damage found but we confirmed that the sender worked at the high end of the scale too).  We figured that the sender was faulty but she never did replace it.  It's a $18 sender and very easy to replace.  As for the coolant level light, the sender in the coolant bottle has been known to stick over time.  Look in past digests to see how some digesti have cleaned them up.

Stretching its legs:  there's a lot more past 85mph.  You've probably seen some of us admitting our vices with triple digit numbers achieved effortlessly in that big sedan.  You could too.  Just be careful on I-5 because it's a moneymaker for the California Highway Patrol.  Be especially careful and observe the 75mph speed limit in Fresno County, right around the Coalinga area.  EVERYone that I have talked to that got tickets on I-5 got them in or near Coalinga.  So when you see "Coalinga 32 miles" just slow down to 75mph.  It's just one hour out of the five that you have to consciuosly slow down to speed limits.  Bring a radar detector if you have one.

Nizam
1994 164LS/Super 3.0V6 24v
1988 75S