Modern Alfas

Hello all. I'm a closet Alfa fan who has been sparked back to life thanks to
the GM-Fiat deal and Alfa's expected return to the US for the 2004 model
year. I'm very eager to hear about the newly-redesigned Spider that will
debut that year ... but I wonder how all the Alfisti feel about the
front-wheel drive layout that all modern Alfas receive? It seems to be a
risky contrast with its direct competition, as all other roadsters are rear
wheel drive (i.e. Miata, Z3, SLK, Boxster), and all serious sports sedans
are rear wheel drive (BMW 3-Series/5-Series, Lexus IS300/GS400, Mercedes
C-Class/E-Class), as well. I currently own a 1999 Miata, and as much as I
desire a new Spider, I am concerned about "downgrading" to a less-desirable
drive layout. Emotional rationale aside, how desirable would a front-wheel
drive roadster be competing against rear-wheel drive roadsters? The same
argument for compact/medium size sports sedans?

Jim