spica filter failures

I have notice both increased rear filter blockage, and fuel hose
deterioration in recent years in Calif on Spica cars.  I've had two
different brand-new Euro-style braided fuel hoses leak signicantly on my GTV
within a year of installation, and a similar story a couple years ago on an
Alfetta, though its braided hoses were admittedly of unknown age. I've also
had two rear ("tank") filters get so blocked that the fuel pressure light
came on, though in both cases it was after the fuel tank had been drained,
so the filter may have  been ingesting crud swirling up from the depths of
the tank.

Also, there seem to have been several "bad" batches of rear tank filters
over the past few years.  I've seen two on my cars leaking from the crimped
seam in the middle of the filter, as has a friend who replaces lots of these
at an Alfa repair shop.  Jon Norman said there were a ton of bad ones about
1996.

Andrew Watry
www.berlinaregister.com