Alternator sources

When I had my engine rebuilt two years ago, I specified some mods to allow
the engine to rev higher than stock. One of the modifications was to use a
larger alternator pulley to avoid over-revving it when the motor spins
toward 7000 rpm. However, the alternator speed at idle is too low and it
can be a drain on the battery when forced to drive short distances in the
rain with all the appliances running. I'm now interested in finding a
replacement alternator that will provide sufficient output at low speed but
withstand high rpms too. Any ideas on specific models and where to find
them? I did find some interesting references to new Bosch alternator
designs which look pretty neat, but the site was meant for OEM types. This
seems like an area where modern technology really offers something better
than Alfa designers could back in the late sixties-early seventies.

Mike Grace
'74 GTV
Santa Barbara, CA

End of alfa-digest V7 #1487