question about replacing rings from the top in spider

Hi,
took the plunge and pulled the head this weekend (I'm a first-timer),
typical gasket failure has been bugging me for a while.  Pat Braden
mentioned in his Bible that it is "theoretically possible" to change the
rings from the top by pulling the liners, swapping the rings, and pushing
the liners back over the piston.  This works because the liners are
(supposedly) tapered, and will compress the rings while going down.  Anyone
ever try this?

Since you've read this far, what should I use on head studs for reassembly?
Oil / anti-seize?  thanks.
dan hagrman 89 spider kansas city