Shift knob removal?

Here's a quick question, and I feel like an idiot for asking.  I need to replace
the leather boot on my stick shift and cannot seem to figure out how to remove
the shift knob to facilitate the job.   Does the plastic top portion of my wood
shift knob (with the shift pattern engraved in it) come out and there's a screw
underneath?  How do I get that plastic thingy out of there?  Is there a hidden
screw or bolt someplace else?  I can't find it!

Thanks, Greg in TX