'88 Spider Handbrake Boot Replacement

I'm restoring the interior of my '88 Spider Graduate, and the time has come
to replace the torn handbrake boot. I've obtained a leather replacement, but
can't figure out how to remove the old boot. It appears to be held in place
by a "U" -shaped metal braket on the underside of the center console. Is
that bracket glued in? Pressed in? Any advice on removing the old boot and
installing the new boot would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA