Re: GTV6 brake performance

In a message dated 3/22/00 10:18:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<  I had new front rotors installed (the
 old ones where below spec) and changed all the pads (front and rear) to
 decent metalic AXXIS.  Now, although things are a little better, the car
 still doesn't brake nearly as well as my 85 gtv6 does that uses the same
 brand of pads.   >>

If I'm not mistaken, the AXXIS pad is the old Repco MetalMaster renamed.   If
so, these pads are of little use unless hot.  Also, they are very sensitive
to proper break-in procedures.  Improper break-in can glaze the rotors/pads
and lead to poor performance.  I had a similar problem with those pads until
one of my racing buddies clued me in to the proper procedure.  They worked
pretty well after that but I always found their performance to be sub-par on
the street.  For street use, I prefer Hawk Black compound.  Very dirty but
very good.  For track use, I use Hawk Blues.  They eat rotors when cold but
are unbelievably strong when hot.

Bob Boniface