Re: Gear Oil - long one

Recently had my gear box lightened by Tom Sahines.  I asked about care &
feeding of same, and synthetic gear oil in particular.  He advised against
it, not because of any failure or lack of quality, but because his experience
is that it tends to leak out.  He recommended an oil made by Swepco (Texas).
 The story is something about running Porsche 911s w/ 300 hp engines -
blowing the gear boxes like clockwork.  Switched to Swepco, and they survived
even running 500 hp through them.  that sounded pretty good to me, certainly
ought to cover my little 4 banger.  His only caveat was that you had to buy
in gallons, and he vaguely remembered something like $ 38 per gallon.  Well,
considering that I've got well over a grand in this box (not all Toms) - I
figured what's another $38.
I called Swepco today - the minimum buy is a case of 6 one gallon jugs for ~
$ 155 (delivered).   Gee, call me cheap, but that sounds like a lot for 4
pints of gear oil.  At the rate I'd use the stuff, My great grand children
will be inheriting it.

Well, I haven't given up yet!  If I can find 5 other fish - no I mean
cognoscenti -  I'd gladly front the cost of the 6 gal, and spread the wealth.
 My best guess is that it should cost between $26 - $ 30 per gallon.  It is
an 80 -90 weight, and Tom recommends it.  Enough for me - anybody else?
email me direct.
Andy
near Bahstahn