The General and Alfa

In a message dated 3/22/2000 7:18:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bearbvd@domain.elided (Greg Hermann)writes:

> GM has a long and infamous tradition of using its customers as a proving
>  ground. Witness the Corvair, the Vega engine, and the Olds 350 cid diesel
>  engine, and the TH700R4 tranny  (among many others!)

    Anybody remember BMW's "eta" six cylinder engine from about fifteen years
ago? Now, there was a real piece of work that they dropped as soon as they
could.  And what about the Peugeot/Renault/Volvo V6? Lots of warranty
headaches there, too.
    The point is that every volume car manufacturer makes makes a mistake
from time to time. A company as large as GM is going to have its share of
failures, as well.
    My only concern is that GM doesn't drop the marketing ball when it comes
to re-importing our beloved marque. The last thing I heard, is that Saturn
dealers will be carrying the Alfa Romeo nameplate. If parts distribution and
dealer service can be kept to, or better than,  Saturn standards of customer
satisfaction, we should be well served.
    I don't give a rat's posterior about what GM did with the Corvair forty
years ago, any more that I care about the quality of electrics used on Alfas
forty years ago.
    This is the year 2000. Wake up and smell the espresso.

John Thompson
Sylmar, CA
Where the new Nethercutt Collection auto museum is nearing completion!