Re: GM-Fiat & variable compression engines

At 1:19 PM 3/21/00, Christopher Keen wrote:
>This didn't show up the first time around, so I'm resending.......
>
>If you're worried about GM's influence on Fiat, have a look at this article
>and see what Saab has done (granted, it started before GM owned Saab, but
>they didn't stop the project).
>http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/press/000318.html
>Sorry it's only distantly Alfa-related, but it's pretty amazing.
>Chris Keen
>'77 spider

GM has a long and infamous tradition of using its customers as a proving
ground. Witness the Corvair , the Vega engine, and the Olds 350 cid diesel
engine, and the TH700R4 tranny  (among many others!)

Perhaps they have now grown smart enough to buy up small marques and use
these nameplates  for the purpose of trying out new, untested ideas on
customers who seem willing to line up like lab rats--rather than risking
getting the bad reputation tied directly to products which  bear their own
nameplates!

This way--if it turns out to be a good idea, take the credit, if not, claim
they took over too late to put a stop to the lunacy!

Cynically yours,

Greg

End of alfa-digest V7 #1476