RE: coolant level light

To jac,

The reservoir is less than a year old.  The PO had the radiator and
reservoir replaced just months prior to me buying the car.  I am about
to check the electronic control unit (behind the glove box) as the
electrical diagrams show it is in circuit.  Hoping to find a connection
in need of clean-up.  But it still strikes me odd that the light does
not come up until the engine temperature approaches normal, then it
stays on until the car is turned off and sufficient time passes for the
engine temperature to drop.

Thanks,
Paul
- ---------------------
Hi!
     Those coolant level sensors on 164s, like other sensors make
     contact to complete the electrical circuit when conditions are
     OK.  Good in theory, the light on means that the sensor is finding
     a low condition, or that there's a bad connection in the circuit.
     Whilst cleaning goo out of my reservoir (now i'm convinced of no
     ongoing head gasket oil > coolant leak) i did ignore the extruded
     warning & unscrewed the level sensor.  it & its well were rather
     gloppy, after cleaning it all up i get no more fraudulent low
     coolant warning light.
jac   '74 sp vel.  '91 164L   '94 164Q