wheel rejuvenation

In a message dated 03/18/2000 11:33:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I was disgusted to discover that the stock 15"
 alloy wheels were terribly neglected.  Absolutely
 BLACK with probably seven years of accumulated brake
 dust, oil, etc.

 First I tried a commercial wheel cleaner, that was a
 waste of time.  Next I tried a toothbrush and Simple
 Green, that worked to a certain extent.  I then tried
 SOS steel wool pads, that cleaned the wheels a bit
 more.  While the wheels now no longer detract from the
 beauty of the rest of the car, they are still quite a
 ways away from what I consider satisfactory.

 Anyone have another suggestion for cleaning the
 wheels?  The alloy is not entirely smooth but a little
 textured, which allows the filth to really cling. >>

If you've gotten off all the crud you can and the wheels are still not
satisfactory in appearance, don't waste any more energy.  Get a can of silver
colored engine spray paint and a can of clearcoat, mask carefully, and
respray them.  In a couple of hours you will have wheels that appear to be
absolutely new, with an investment of probably less than US$10.  I think no
matter what the result will be just about as good as any further steps you
can take to clean up the residue, all things considered, and will give you a
terrific sense of achievement.

Charlie
AROSC
LA, CA, USA