Re: Wet Spider

Bryan Carter asked:

>  1974 Spider, new top, but still collects a fair amount
>  of water in the rear parcel shelf on the drivers side.
>   Here's the problem...the drain hole is clear as far
>  as I can tell but often water flows out of the hole
>  when the car is on a hill with the nose up.  It's as
>  if the water is draining out of the passenger
>  compartment but then being collected somewhere under
>  the floor.  I soak up what I can but then as soon as I
>  drive it water flows back through the hole, onto the
>  parcel shelf.  So where does the water go through that
>  drain hole?

Bryan -- Here's what I found in my 86 Spider when I replaced the top recently
(article to follow later). There are two roughly half-inch drain holes on
each side near where the top frame mounts. When I poured water in each hole,
it drained out of two small drain holes under the car directly beneath the
drain hole at the top. If that is not happening for you when you pour water
in there, then your lines are plugged.

If you look carefully, you will also find two small drain holes about 18
inches back from the larger drain holes. They appear to drain out the bottom
at the same place as the larger ones.

Wish I had some suggestions for how to unplug the holes. I tries poking a
coat hanger down mine to see where they went, and couldn't get far. The drain
pipe makes a bend that I couldn't get around. Fortunately, they weren't
blocked, so it didn't matter.

Good luck with yours, Bryan.

Bob Rice
Tampa FL (for those who can't breath without knowing location)
86 Spider