gas prices

Tom said:
Most Americans, myself included, have no interest engaging in a
race to the bottom to see which nation can exact the highest gas
taxes.  Go on ahead without us.

The higher gas prices we are seeing are not the result of higher taxes, but
higher prices levied by the suppliers. They control the supply, they
control the price. Our government officials are discussing cutting taxes to
offset the price increases - a short sighted answer that makes sense only
in a political fashion. At least Clinton has resisted this knee jerk
reaction, and is working through diplomatic channels to have OPEC increase
production.
Higher supplier prices will result in less people driving needlessly, drive
a more fuel efficient vehicle market, and help some nations pay back their
loans (so that we don't pay them through forgiveness, as is currently being
debated). Not all bad, as I see it. Right now, if you want gas prices to
come down, then don't drive.
Automotive Times yesterday gave the timeframe of 2003 for the introduction
of the next generation Spider, and 2004 for the introduction of the 156
successor to the US market. These models are currently being finished,
design wise, so that the necessary changes for US federalization can be
easily incorporated at this time. No statement as to which GM subsidiary
will be the conduit.

Robert Clauss  AROC, ARA
BeckyCo@domain.elided
Mt. Prospect, IL  USA