re: gas prices

hi all, john sez:
>Tom,
>
>I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm not sure exactly when it
>became the norm in the US to strive for the
>lowest common denominator, but it's a shame.
===================
i guess one person's floor is another's ceiling - seems to me, the
suv/pickup/minivan rage *is* the lowest common denominator: car-as-house.

>I see the same type of babbling about SUVs... instead
>of making other cars safer, there's constant talk
>about making SUV's less sturdy.
============================
did anyone say anything about safety?!?  slow, ill-handling, fuelish, eyesore,
mebbe;  i *never* heard anyone say *anything* about wanting to make suv's less
sturdy.

>I'll put my wife and kids in the largest, heaviest,
>safest vehicle I can get her to drive.
i guess i should be grateful *my* wife won't drive anything bigger'n an alfa
164!  :>)  btw, where's your humvee?

>By the way, my wife's minivan gets better gas mileage than my Alfa.
i know, it prolly holds more people, has more cupholders & power outlets, mebbe
it even is more fun-to-drive, but can ewe park it under yer f150, like ya can
yer alfa?  ;~)

doug s,
'88 house - fer when i'm not driving anywhere