re: CAUTION, left hand threads, etc

I had written:
>>>the solution was to replace all of the original studs with US-made
>>aftermarket pieces that are longer than stock and have right-hand threads.<<

and my neighbor John Hertzman responded:
>Why US made aftermarket? Are they stronger or otherwise better than the
>Italian OEM '72 and later studs which are longer than '71 and have
right-hand
>threads? I believe (but am not certain) that '72 through Milano all used the
>same studs and nuts, and if they are inferior in any way to US-made
>aftermarket pieces it probably should be discussed.

There's nothing wrong with the OEM studs or metric hardware in general as
far as I'm concerned.  I used 'murrican stuff on the race car for two
pragmatic reasons: 1) the studs and matching open lug nuts are easy to find
locally; 2) studs come  in a range of lengths, including long ones that
accommodate spacers between the wheels and hubs.

I would tend to use OEM pieces for a street car.

Dana
Durham NC, USA