Re: 164 Wheel Cleaning / Alfisti correction

I just cleaned one of my rims that I had been waiting to do for quite some
time now, and got the motivation from all the talk going on here.
I used the Eagle One Aluminum Wash & Cleaner (do not get the one that will
dissolve your clear coat; that is the Mag Cleaner). I used a toothbrush to
apply the stuff. It requires a great deal of scrubbing (and I mean a
lot!).
This will remove almost everything except the hardened deposits. These can
be removed by scraping with a dull metal object. I used the handle of a
spoon. If there are any sharp edges they will scratch off paint (not too
easy, but do-able). With care, all the stuff can be removed. THe crud has
not ruined the rim, it is just stuck on really hard. It took me no less
than 4 hours to get ONE rim perfect. I then waxed and polished. THey truly
look like new (actually IT looks like new; I have only done one). The rear
wheels are not as bad, but will probably take about 3 hours.
If you are worth $50 an hour at work, you might be better off having the
rims refinished. For me, an alfa loving college student with an easy
semester, 4 hours per rim is quite worthwhile. Good luck!

Regarding the term Alfisti, when this is word is used in the singular
form, it should be "Alfista". So one would say, I am an alfista, and we
are alfisti. I lived in italy most of my life, and speak fluent italian,
so I am quite confident this is correct. Any italian digesters might
agree with me. Hey, we could always call ourselves alfa-ers.

karl
'91 164 L