Yet another: New Alfas in US

Yes, I know I am at least two weeks late.  The hurrier I go, the
behinder I get.....

There have been numerous posting regarding what would happen if Alfa
came back to the US.  The exclusitvity of the marque is a big issue.  I
don't want to see myself coming and going down every street, no matter
how nice the car is.  I want to stand out a bit from the great
unwashed.  Anyone can read a review and plonk down the money and walk
away with a great car.

And it's not just perfomrance.  For lots less maney, you can buy a
motorcycle that will smoke damn near ANY car you can buy.  So why do I
own a Ducati, which a UJM of smaller displacement will walk away from?
It fits me, and my pesonality.  Why do I like my Alfetta?  Again, it
fits me and my personality.  Of course there are better cars out there.
There always will be. If you get something you really like, I mean down
deep inside, have a passion for, you won't regret having purchased it.

Bottom line of this rambling rant?  If Fiat, or GM or who ever is in
charge now, decides to return to these fickle shores, they can always
bring back a couple of brands. One for the pedestrian, bread & butter
crowd, and and another for the cogniscenti.  VW does it with Audi.
Toyota does it, albeit it on a monetary level only, with Lexus.  I don't
know what Nissan is doing with Infiniti (high zoot Renaults?).  I think
we all know what Honda has done with the (relatively) new name of
Acura.  Why not the Italian connection?

In an article I wrote for our local rag some years ago, after listening
to way too many rants about Alfa's return to the USofA, I wrote that for
Alfa to sell cars here, they would have to as bullet proof as rocks.  No
leaking charm all over the garage floor, thank you very much.  They
would have to remain exclusive, so cars and SUVs would have to be
marketed by others, even if engineered in the house of Alfa Romeo.

All do-able.  Once the contrary people out there forget that Fiat and
Alfa had a reputation for rusting on the spot, even those spots covered
with dripping engine oil.

I quit now, and go back to my Clark Kent demeanor.

Ciao
Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California

End of alfa-digest V7 #1462