Re: dying for a 145?

Alfisti who are interested...
More *informed* comments from the UK :)

<<You might want to check out the BBC Top Gear website and see what they
think about it. (the 145)

Some excerpts;

"the steering is lifeless and doesn't inspire confidence. " >>
- -- This must relate to the 1994 1.6 Boxer engined variety of 145 on 14 inch
wheels & narrow tyres. That was the rushed-to-market version with many 33
mechanicals. Unfortunately the 103 bhp/ 99 lb/ft torque engine struggled to
move the bulk of the new body (1216 kg) which was necessary to pass the
punitive crash regulations. Latest versions with the oft-mentioned
"quick-rack" steering & VR rated tyres have SUPERB steering. I compare my
machine with a host of FWD machinery every week - Nissan, Peugeot, Ford,
Vauxhall (rebadged GM Opels) VW - which are hire cars from work. Ford Focus,
new GM Astra and Peugeot 306 are particularly good, but can't beat the new
145/6's responsiveness to the helm.

<< "The gear change is also lifeless, so overall the 145 loses out for
appeal" >>
- --- This must be referring again to early series Boxer versions with the
rather rubbery transmission from the 33. I owned two 33's and the gearchange
was not that bad once used to it. Again, this was totally replaced in Twin
Spark versions of the 145/6.

<<"The Alfa doesn't fare too well in ride quality either.">>
- --- Always something a bit subjective. At higher speeds, I find 145/6 models
no better or worse than the competition.

<<"The seats are supportive but you sit high, so the Alfa lacks the sporty
feel of the BMW.">>
- ----Totally agree. You sit very high in the 145/6 (and 155 for that matter).
The front seats are perched on a cross member inherited from the Fiat Tipo
floorpan. Seat height adjustment is provided, ranging from "too high" to
"ouch that's the roof!" You do get a great view ahead though and ample time
to pick out apexes, very similar to the Ford Focus which Top Gear do not
criticise! Again, Ti & Cloverleaf versions have a far sportier interior than
early versions and give equivalent 3-series BMW Compacts (the rear -end
shunt variety) a real run for their money in that department. Having said
that, the 147 interior according to latest reports will be a substantial
step forward in the quality stakes.

<<Not everything was negative, they liked the style, roominess, aaaaaand the
engine.>>
- ------ No comment. Nice to see that Top Gear were not totally blinded by
German engineering (yes, I know it's good, but where's the soul?)
Here in the UK, week in, week out on the BBC Top Gear TV program (and
monthly Magazine) we are hit by presenters who are fanatics of German cars.
BMW, BMW, BMW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, BMW, BMW..... They even voted the -IMHO-
"curious looking" (each to his own remember!) Z3M Coupe as the best handling
car! Over a 360 Modena! I know it's good, but come on! However, quite
surprisingly, they recently voted the wacky Fiat Multipla people carrier as
their Car of  The Year for being a great "all-rounder" and they still love
the GTV and generally give good balanced reviews to all Alfas. In my memory
they have raved over the Alfasud, 164, 156, GTV 2.0, GTV 3.0, and 2.0
145/6...

Cheers!

John G
Leicestershire UK
146 ti (2.0 Twin Spark 16V)
....Waiting for the next rash of critical emails from "Alfisti" AD
subscribers who prefer BMWs and Audis...