RE: Name and location required?

Brian Shorey (who lives somewhere up yonder) is correct that there was never
a mass agreement (rigid and binding, following mandatory voting) for
everybody to include name and location with every post. But there was enough
discussion that there seemed to be a tacit consensus among many (though
certainly not all) that it was an easy, painless, and cost-free enhancement
of effective communication, like the use of relatively standard vocabulary,
spelling, capitalization and punctuation. People who don't want to conform to
social norms are certainly free to go their own way, and their contributions
may still earn an extra effort from others who value content (however
difficult to unearth) more than form (however quaint), but I prefer to
generally allign my own conduct with that of Fred, Rich Wagner, Alan Lambert,
and many others, including (I believe) virtually all of the participants from
Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, and Canada.

Context often does modify content. If that opinion makes me an old (insert
the pejorative of your choice) so be it.

I would note also that Brian recently visited the Research Triangle Park area
of North Carolina, and took the opportunity to initiate a dinner with three
people who usually sign themselves

Colin Verrilli
Apex, NC

Dana Loomis
Durham NC, USA

and

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

He didn't, as far as I know, contact Joe Simpson (who does live in the same
area, but Brian wouldn't have known that). Joe's loss. It was a great
evening. Thank you, Brian, wherever you are.

John H.
somewhere down yonder