the old FWD thread, American's, and a Jag

lurking mode ... off.

I find it rather ironic that most criticisms of Fiat/Alfas revolve around
FWD. As if FWD Alfa's only came about with the 164. Although I've never
driven one, from what I've read the AlfaSud (and 33's) were quite nice little
cars. Except for the stalk switch. But performance wise, they are supposed to
be super. I think most of my American brethren omit these cars when raging
about FWD and the Alfa mystique.

I have driven a 145 through Rome and up to Avenzanno. And my opinion of FWD
Alfa's changed towards the very positive after that. I think before we
criticize we should walk the proverbial mile in the other persons shoes.

Having said that, we just bought a 1993 XK6 Vanden Plas for my wife. Yes,
these are post Ford cars. But they sure seem like a Jag to me. Plus, it is
very much a buyers market. There is so much misinformation about Jags, that
the prices are incredibly low. Plus, as a California car it suffers not from
rust as do snow bound cars.

So we got a car that sold for US$56k new for US$14k. We'll drive it a few
years and roach it (wink wink). Not like our two Alfas that we plan to keep
long enough to be buried in, but a great car for my wife for a few years.
Having worked in the technology sector for 20 years, I know that quality and
quality systems have improved dramatically over the years.

At the end of the day, I think the best thing for Alfa would be to get bought
out by Son Of Romeo and returned to private hands. Failing this, I think the
GM-FIAT deal is way too murky to predict what this spells for Alfa.

Life it short. There are no survivors. Enjoy your Alfa (and life) while you
can. Bitching about how lame GM, or Ford, or FIAT, is like shooting fish in a
barrel. Just not real sport. Let's move on ...

Peter Lundquist