Auto Transportation

I'm planning to move from the Philadelphia, PA area to the SF Bay Area.  I
am taking my 1994 164Q with me. Can anyone help me with a name(or two) of a
reputable transportation company?  Obviously there are good ones and there
are bad ones, but are there any to absolutely stay away from?  Are there any
that fellow digest subscribers have used and recommend?  I expect and accept
that it will not be cheap, but what kind of ballpark are we talking about
here?
Would it be feasible for me to rent a Ryder truck and put the Alfa on a
flat-bed trailer behind me?  Has anyone done THAT before?
Replies on or off digest, whichever is easiest, thanks!

Chuck Nicholson