How do I make my Spider exhaust note throatier?

> I currently don't have the expansion chamber that comes right after
>the headers. I've heard that's its necessary for proper exhaust tuning.
>Anyone have an opinion out there in digest land? Duh, of course you do.
>
>Emmo
>
>While I love my 1990 Spider and find the engine to be great, the exhaust
>note is very muted and sounds like a Honda.  How do I make the exhaust note
>throatier and sound more like a 1960's sports car?
(etc)
Ken Ross

Lose the centre muffler. Replace rear muffler with co-axial tube type (Coby
etc in NZ, ?glasspack in US?). The front muffler (expansion chamber) is not
essential in my opinion but if you run just the rear muffler, its gonna be
awfully noisy!. I'm running tubular headers without the front muffler and
can't notice any power loss. Most important thing is to make certain that
tube sizes are not smaller than original, and for any Alfa, don't use
offset type of mufflers where the entry pipe is not continuous with the
exit pipe. The exhaust tuning people convinced me that a certain GMV8
muffler of this type would work well and against my better judgement I
agreed to have them fit it. Drove about 1/2 mile down the road from the
shop, turned around and had the thing removed immediately. Yup, that
noticeable.

Les in Wellington, New Zealand