Fiat/GM Deal

OK.. Slow down everybody..

For all you doomsdayers, GM hasn't bought Fiat, they
aren't sharing platforms, etc. Alfas will not be
rebadged Luminas or (shudder) GrandAms. Presently, I
think the biggest benefit is that they will be pooling
their resources in purchasing of components and
financial services etc.? I have also heard that GM is
interested in Fiat's Diesel technology . Here's an
excerpt:

However, Colli noted that the GM-Fiat deal showed the
automotive sector was switching from
outright mergers to more complex alliance agreements.

     ``Now we have a new type of innovative
deal...It's a global alliance, not at all a merger,
there are no
members on each board. They continue to be
competitors; it's in between a complete merger and
more
classical limited technical cooperation,'' he said.

For all the rah-rah's, I've still read differing
opinions on whether Alfa will return or not.  The
latest seems to be that they will.  However, if they
do, what will they import?. I think you can rule out
the 145/146/147 (too small). Further, who in the NA
market will pay BMW 323 prices for a 4-cylinder twin-
cam Alfa 156 Selespeed.  NAs need a 6 or eight in
their sport sedans, unless the 4 or 5 is turbo or
supercharged.  Like the Milano and the 164 which
didn't sell the TwinSpark variations here, the only
156s we will see is the 2.5V6.  Not that this is a bad
thing, but nearly every review I've read of the newest
line of Alfas concludes that the 2L TwinSpark provides
the best balance and handling.  This goes for all of
them : GTV/Spider, 156 and 166. Presently, the 2.5V6
doesn't come in the Selespeed flavour either.

The Spider and GTV will make barely a blip on the
sales market (remember it has to steal sales away from
the Boxster, S2000, Z3, M Coupe, SLK, Audi TT etc..).
These are status vehicles and like it or not Alfa
doesn't have it presently (in NA at least)

The 166 is carrying on the fight that the 164 lost.
Against the 5 series etc.. Again, it will be a tough
sell, but the reveiws from overseas seem to be the
familiar refrain: My heart says Alfa but my head says
BMW.

If a populace who've witnessed the Alfa renaissance,
as well as the supposed gains in quality, firsthand
still hold these views, how will the marque be judged
in returning to a continent they left 5 years in
embarassing fashion?

Something to think about. If/when they do anounce
return, you can be assured however that I will be
saving my pennies. Then again, probably in the same
time I'll be able to legally import an SZ into
Canada..

Phil Gicante
89 Milano