What Gas am I on!!

Can anyone help ?  I am about to embark on the dubious job of replacing
the blower motor in my 91 164 (UK version) and have been advised that I
have to remove the A/C unit (thanks for all the info John in Aus.) but
do not know what refrigerant gas I am on.  I know that if it R12 I will
have to have it pumped out and stored but was this the gas installed on
the 91 versions or would they have come as standard with 134a ?.

Also does anyone know if its possible to pump the gas over (within the
compressor, a standard technique on large building A/C units) to store
it as this is results in less gas being lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

David

91 164Lusso