ALFA and GM`

Bittersweet news this is indeed. GM saved SAAB's bacon about 8 years ago.
SAAB was just recently bought completely by GM pursuant (as we legal begals
like to put it) to an option acquired when thye bought the first 50%. A
share swap is an indication that FIAT is a sizeable chunk of automotive
real estate to swallow in one go, but likely this will happen and FIAT will
become yet another division of GM.

This means that GM will definitely want to market some of the FIAT group's
product in NA, and ALFA is the prime candidate. In Canada that probably
means we'll get them at our Saturn SAAB Isuzu dealers, a good thing as
Saturn in Canada is extremely well organized with strong dealerships and
modern facilities. ALFA will also sell well as a complement to SAAB, many
of us ALFA lovers also like SAAB, for different reasons. One of each has
served me well for the better part of a decade now (and I bought my last
two SAABs used and the ALFA new, though heavily discounted).

The negatives are that GM can't resist softening up the suspension and
overall driving feel of their Euro entries. They then sell like hotcakes,
but not to the traditional market. Except that SAAB has done so well that
they have been "allowed" to produce some sportier versions, including
regular 9 3 with stiffer suspension and uprated turbo engines, the Viggen,
the 9 5 Aero and even the 9 5 Aero in wagon form. I like ALFA's chances
with GM to knock off some of the more absurd Italian idiosyncracies. A more
mainstream car means the aftermarket will produce some hop up bits, more
cars means more sales of aftermarket parts. Audi and BMW are prime examples
of this phenomenon. If you start with a basic European design, you can
restore it to full Euro performance specs for not a lot of cash these days.

bene ... as they say....bring on the ALFA's, my credit card awaits thee.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner