bmw afm for gtwe6/milano

hi mike, ewe said:
>...My real question is this: I seem to remember someone using a BMW air flow
>meter (in conjunction with 164S cams?).  Can you fill me in on why BMW part,
>better mapping? adjustable?  I would think the meter/ECU/throttle all would
>need to be part of the same system. It seems I am going to replace the unit,
>so I would appreciate all and any suggestions.
=========================
try one from a '79-'81 528i, pn: 0 280 203 011

here's an excerpt from one of my previous emails about this:
you'll need to get a cone-style filter, or mod the airbox to bolt up to the bmw
ecu - it's the same width, but a bit taller.  i ran mine w/the stock airbox lid
(bottom two bolts fit fine), w/duct tape covering the opening at the top, til i
sourced a 2nd used airbox lid - then a shop charged me $70 to modify it to
bolt-up correctly.  cone filters draw warm air from the engine bay, unless
shrouded...  a decent shroud mite be harder to make than modifying the airbox...

you have to put the rubber boot in boiling-hot water to get it to stretch to fit
over the other end of the bmw afm - you mite invent some new words!  :>)

according to jon k, the only mod to the afm itself is to loosen the spring
tension for the airflow door, so it will idle smoothly - i dint try it before
loosening the spring, for all i know, it mite work fine as is.

hope this helps,

doug s.