164 rants

In a message dated 3/10/00 5:15:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, alfabill writes:

<< This is
 inexcusable for any modern make, and general quality was mediocre at
 best, from misapplied "164" and "L" emblems to dead batteries and paint
 that had to be wet sanded and buffed to make it gloss correctly. >>

I must have owned the finest 164 ever produced if all the quality bashing
I've read over the years is to be believed.  My sister purchased the lovely
green 164L 5spd new, drove it for 40,000 miles then sold it to me.  I drove
it every day for five years and another 55,000 miles before selling it to my
brother-in-law who has since put another 10,000 or so miles on it.  In all
those years, it was ALWAYS parked outside in harsh northern weather,  driven
on salty, urban roads in the winter and guess what?  It rarely did anything
other than weld a smile to it's owner's face.  At 100,000 miles the paint was
as glossy a new car, it went like stink, and, get this: IT STILL HAD IT'S
ORIGINAL FISPA BATTERY AFTER TEN YEARS!  My brother-in-law just changed the
battery last month (car was built in April 1990), not because it was dead,
but rather, as a precautionary measure.  It was the finest car I've ever
owned.

Bob Boniface