Too lean

Since my previous posting received but one reply, I will try
again, in a shorter form.

My latest project is an 1984 Spider purchased with a toasted
engine, shattered rings on 3 cylinders, but with an intact head
gasket :~o. The car ran suprisingly well for an engine that far
gone,but had a very rough idle.

First step, I totally rebuilt the engine.10-1 pistons,liners,new
valves and springs, .007 off the head, std. bearings .
 Cleaned throttle body,replaced defective water temp
sender,vacuum hoses,voltage regulator,cold start injector and
oxygen sensor.The engine and transmission mounts were replaced.
Of course, all new filters,plugs,wires,checked timing. Assumed
this was a cure to all problems.

The trouble is, the car runs too lean, the idle is rough and
lumpy. To run semi-smoothly, the air flow meter adjustment screw
must be screwed all the way in (yes,the o ring is good) and the
hot idle has to be adjusted to 1500 rpm to give me 900 rpm cold
(because of the extra air from the auxiliary air valve). This
leads me to suspect that the shattered rings were caused by this
excessively lean condition.

I can find no vacuum leaks( via the propane method),fuel pressure
is good,new filter. Unplugging individual injectors caused no
change! Timing,ignition is good. No starting problems.
For what it may matter, the VVT cam has been replaced by a
?stock? 2 liter cam, according to the part number on it.Do the
manufacturers of performance cams, Shankle,IAP etc put any
distinguishing markings on their cams?

What have I overlooked? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anne O