Japan and reliability

It is also worth remembering that the Japanese always detune their cars,
for NA anyway. When ALFA was getting 200 hp from it's two valve per
cylinder sohc 3.0 litre V6, Camry was getting 195hp from its four valve per
cylinder dohc 3.0 V6 and Nissan was getting 200hp from its "one of the
world's ten best engines" (barf) with ditto config. When ALFA went for dohc
and four valves per cylinder they got 240 hp easily in US legal trim in 94.
Nissan is only now trumpetingthat  their one of the worldstenbest engines
(barf) gets wowee 227 hp. The Infiniti you can buy this engine in will be
handily outbraked by a Mitsubishi Montero Sport (double barf), as well as
outcornered. This on dry road. One hates to think how the Nissan will
handle off road, I think the Montero would probably outhandle it there too.

When the Japanese build cars that really perform and get driven to the
limit every day, the cracks start to show. I know, I had a Mazda 626 turbo
which was supposedly much better than my SAAB 9000 turbo for reliability.
Well, try driving one of those flat out for a while and see how you feel
(barf). My 9000T (with 230,000km) is still capable of 220 km/hr and burns
less oil now than when new. The Mazda? Hmmm, don't think I'd want to risk
160 km/hr in that old boat in its current condition.

It's easy to make a durable car if no one can drive the wheels off it,
because it won't go or it's too scary at speed (the Mazda went ok , fine
car for its type, still scary though). For a car that loves to be driven
hard, that's a little different. I'll stick with my ALFA and SAABs thanks,
I know they aren't going to kill me next time I need to step on the brakes.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner