From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Sidney L. Trest
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2000 7:05 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: Hot Spider

Need some help with diagnosis. The weather in Texas has been getting into
the mid 80's. Whenever I run my 86 Spider on the freeway for any length
of time the water temp rises into the 220 - 225 degree range. This is way
too hot but technically it has never "overheated" (pegged the meter and
warning light on). Another observation is when the car cools, the upper
radiator hose collapses flat, when I open the radiator cap it expands
again. This shouldn't be happening either. The coolant doesn't seem
particularly dirty or flakey but probably could be changed. About 9
months ago, a local shop replaced the thermostat. Could an incorrect or
faulty thermostat cause this? Is this a system obstruction? Any help
would be appreciated.
Sid
Houston
'86 Spider Veloce