How to set initial alignment??

I have purchased a non running and partially disassembled 73 GTV that is
several hundred miles away.   Among the unattached components are the
following steering pieces:  steering box, idler box, the two side track
rods, and the center tie rod.  My intention is to  retrieve it by towing it
behind the grey Berlina using the trusty tow bar that has pulled Alfas and
Jags all over the country.   The plan is to install the steering pieces
mentioned above, hook it up and tow it home.   My request for advice is how
to set up the steering geometry to a sufficient standard so that the GTV
can be towed 200 miles, tracking staight and without destoying the front
tires.  It does not have to be perfect, just good enough to get home.   How
does the following sound?

1.  Install steering components:  raise front of car on blocks or ramps.
Install steering box and idler box.  Set side track rods (264-280mm,) and
center tie rod (530-550) to initial factory specifications.  Center
steering wheel then set box side wheel to "straight ahead" position by
adjusting track rod, then measure track rod and set idler side to 5mm less.
 Install (center) tie rod  and with steering wheel and box side wheel
straight ahead, and holding steering wheel to prevent movement, adjust tie
rod to bring idler side wheel to "straight ahead" position.
QUESTION:   Given the above, how does a shadetree guy like me establish
"straight ahead" for each wheel without specialized tools?   Any tips?

2. Test alignment:  fill tires to proper air pressure and load car to
towing configuration.  Measure centerline from side to side at middle of
leading and trailing sides of front tires to check for toe in.  Roll car
forward and remeasure.    Adjust center tie rod to establish "proper" toe-in.
QUESTION:  Sound logical??  The main idea is to just get both front wheels
pointed at straight ahead and "parallel" (except for toe in).  And while
I'm at, is this the best way to measure toe-in with shadetree tools, e.g. a
tape measure?

I'm doing this trip next weekend, weather permitting.  Thanks for your
suggestions.   ///KCT Powell, Tennessee