Alfa in North America

     I must agree with my esteemed colleague, Alfa Bill when he says:

     >164 did NOT compete on quality, when compared to the Volvos and large
     >SAAB it was in the running with. The biggest pitfall to selling a 164
     >(I
     >put 2400 miles on a 91 "demo"ing it to ever breathing person i saw
     >including the Volvo corporate mystery shopper

     >The customer's biggest objection was perception of reliability. If my
     >164 was a typical example, Alfa croaked on warranty claims...

     I personally believe that the single biggest stumbling block to any
     attempted reintroduction of Alfas in N. America would be the perceived
     low quality/reliability of the cars. I cannot tell you how many times
     someone has looked at my 164, said "what a lovely car" followed
     immediately by "I heard they are a nightmare to maintain" or something
     to this effect. Read any classic car magazine's review of an
     Alfa/Fiat/Lancia and what do you always see "great
     engine......wonderful car" but "dodgy electrics.....unreliable" or a
     similar comment. The Japanese manufacturers have set the bar
     incredibly high in this regard and the public will accept no less
     these days. I think that Alfa would have an incredibly difficult time
     overcoming this issue today. Having said this, I personally believe
     that a '91 BMW 325/525 is no less reliable or cheaper to maintain than
     my 164.

     Kevin Fillip
     Dallas, TX

     '91 164