RE: North American Alfa Sales Figures

hi brian, ewe said:
>...If Alfa sold a somewhat complete line of cars with current styling and
>technology, they would have done fine in the USA.  FWD/RWD was/is not the
>issue.
==================================
i pretty much agree w/this statement, however i feel that if alfa did this, the
composition of this list - if it survived - would be a *lot* different.  it's
that catch-22 - if alfa becomes mainstream enuff to make it worthwhile to sell
in the usa, then it loses its appeal for those who like something a bit
different.  lotsa folks on this list don't want to own a bmw, audi, benz, etc.,
cuz it's some kinda social-status thing that they don't wanna be associated with
- - if alfa were successful here, the same stigma wood apply.

excuse me a minute while i don my nomex...  ok, ready! ;~)  i own an alfa 164,
and as far as i'm concerned it's a taurus/maxima/camry/626/*whatever*, albeit
w/a really nice engine.  styling's *ok*, but not as arresting as my werde, which
is one of the nicest post-war 4-door sedans of all time, imho.  i *do* love the
styling of the 156 & the gnu gtv, but for my dollars, rwd wood take precedence
over styling.  i needed a big car for cheap, & the 164 fit the bill.  if alfa
were successful in the usa, i woodn't be able to *steal* one, like i did my 164.
so, i'd be looking at spending *real* money, & that wood mean rwd, or awd.
would i participate on a list like this, if this was my only alfa interest?  i'd
prolly be signed up, & *never* participate, except to ask a question when
something broke.

doug "wood drive a ferrari or lotus, if i could, stigma or not" sedon