more 164 noises

A fine sunny day to all:

I replace the AC to Waterpump tensioner on my 91 164 after hearing a high
pitched wail coming from the engine.  So the wail is now gone to be
replaced by a ssssssssssssssss sound.
Sounds like sand in  a bearing noise?
I made sure the all the belts are to the correct tension.   Could this be
the timing belt tensioner?  It is only 13K old and of the new non hydraulic
type.   Both belt and tensioner were replaced when the waterpump went
south.   Is there a way to test it before replacing it?
Should I use a stethescope near the tensioner to see if that is the culprit?

Any help is always welcomed.

Scott Mccaulley
Venice CA
91 alfa 164L