re: V6 plug wires

>Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 17:56:26 -0800 (PST)
>From: DaveM <doc1590@domain.elided>
>Subject: V6 plug wires
>
>Just curious...  The insulated extended plug
>connectors for the V6 Alfa's seem to be what makes
>them unique. (i.e. Expensive)  Has anyone tried using
>the connectors for the Chrysler Hemi engines and
>making up their own wires?  I have a source for these
>at about $6 each and I'm thinking about ordering just
>one to see if it is close to the correct reach and if
>the boot is close to the right size.
>I know the books and experts say that in order for the
>L-jet ignition system to work properly, it is
>dependent on the proper resistance but we have used
>ordinary resistor wires on a 2 liter race car for
>years with no ill effects and even tried changing to
>stock wires on a dyno with no difference noted.
>Any input??????
>
>Dave Miller
>Deltona, Florida

Somebody fill me in here on plug wires.  My coil wire is pretty shot, but
I'd like all new Bosch Blue wires and new coil.  Anyway, those connectors
are included with new wires, right?  Well, if that's so I wouldn't call
them expensive.  A friend just got new Bosch Blue wires for his 6-cyl BMW,
with standard plug connectors, for 110 DOLLARS.  If we get 6 of those huge,
unique connectors for our $110, we should consider ourselves lucky.

I guess my real dillemma is as follows: My dad agrees that new wires would
help my car but he says that $110 is too outrageous (for a birthday
present) and I should get something from, like, AutoZone.  Well I haven't
checked, but they're not going to have those crazy connectors, and OEM Alfa
wires are $168 from Centerline.  I need a scam to get my parents to buy me
plug wires!  I could try explaining this to my dad, but he'll probably
choose not to believe me.

As for plugs, my dad said he'd get me those for my birthday, in which case
I'll tell him I need Bosch Platinum +4's.  But if I do end up buying them
myself, should I get Golden Lodge ($4.95) or regular Bosch Platinum ($2.95)?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6  <--nasty fuel stank in cabin