Ether - a time and place for everything

While I can't argue with Fred and Michael, but ether sure works to start my
ol' beater berlina in  the winter.   The beater lives outside, and its
purpose for existance is to provide an anode to save the good alfas (who
live in the garage), by providing an alternative for poor weather
conditions.  It has to start, and warming it up or waiting is not an an
alternative.   The only problem with the ether trick is a propensity to
backfire through the carbs and ignite the air cleaners, however the
resulting entertainment seems to please most observers, as indicated by
their bemused looks.   And I'm not concerned with damaging the engine (or
anything else) on this bottom-of-the-food-chain candidate for nastiest
daily driven alfa in...North America?   //kct