Tire Rotation, benefits thereof

A better solution to  the tire wear problem presented by FWD is to rotate
the fronts to the rear and (of course) vice versa, keeping the left tires
on the left and the right on the right, about twice per year. In Canada we
use four snow tires changing tires twice per year as a result. Rotating the
tires is done routinely here, at the time we swap tires for the season. Of
course, you then have to buy four new tires at once, but that is generally
a better solution because you aren't locked in to the previous brand. (And
that sometimes means you can't get the correct replacement as manufacturers
often supercede especially their top model tires). In Canada, we generally
have two sets of tires right away when we buy the new car, so shop for
tires a lot less often.

FWD loads up the front tires about twice to three times as much as the
rears. The result is the "set" of tires will last as long as on a RWD car
only if you rotate front to rear twice per year. Another advantage is the
tires all wear AND age at approximately the same rate, preserving balanced
handling throughout the life of the set. Tires harden with age and grip
better in the dry as the tread wears, but worse in the wet. All around
(nice pun eh?) rotating the tires can't be beat. Check your brakes
regularly at the same time!

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada