SPICA folks

Okay, all you Spica know-it-alls, figure this out. A little background, My
74 GTV backfires on de-cell. Fine, the cut-off is not working properly. I
checked the wires to and from the microswitch... not in good shape. So at
running temperature I bypassed the wires and energized the solenoid with a
jumper. Well it engage and decelerated. Actually it shut the engine down.
And then it was near impossible to start (had to disconnect and manually
mess with the long rod, etc.).  I suspected the cut-off solenoid was
sticking and removed the solenoid, counting the turns. With that sucker off
and plunger visible, I tested it. No sticking.

So here's the real question. With the engine off, if I pressed down on the
fuel de-cell mechanism (arm) in the pump... (exposed in the void just
moments ago occupied by the solenoid) should it spring back or should it
stay where I pressed it down?

My thinking... the spring on the de-cell mechanism is broken.

Any thoughts...

Wes are you reading this? Cause I'm emailing you next!

Thanks,
Jay
74 GTV
San Francisco