spider top now latched!

OK, got the top fully latched, now.  The hot towels trick worked.  Sounds
embarrassingly obvious, but don't so many good ideas?  BTW, since both
latch components use countersunk fastener holes, rather than slots, nothing
can be gained by loosening them.  I'm glad that I didn't have to start
grinding on the framework!  Seems that you'd always want the top to be
fabric, rather than frame travel limited, to avoid rattling, i.e. fabric
acts as snubbing spring.

What benefits am I missing by having broken stiffener cables?  They were
shot when I bought the car.

thanks for the help!

Robert Hardwick, Seattle