Leaking axle seal?

After checking my '93 Spider out after an autocross this weekend, I found
some green fluid leaking from behind the brake rotor on my driver's side
rear wheel. This is the same tire that rubbed on the inside of the wheel
well.

Do these two symptoms have anything to do with each other? Seems like too
much of a coincidence..

In any case, I'm presuming the green fluid is gear oil, and that the most
likely cause if it leaking is the axle seal. Does this sound probable to
anyone else?

If it is the axle seal, is it easily visible by removing the brake rotor?
How difficult is it to remove the axle - do I need to open the diff? I think
that would be a very mess job...

Is this a common occurrance?

Thanks,
- -Glenn